Frequently Asked Questions
Dacor National Design Contest
February 14, 2019 – July 31, 2020
Below are answers to some common questions, but potential Entrants should review the Official Rules to find all the details for the Contest.
What is the contest deadline?
July 31, 2020 at 11:59pm P.T.
What do I need to complete my entry?
Professional Design Contest Requirements. Once registered, follow the instructions to submit your completed kitchen design project (“Entry”) into either the Contemporary or Traditional Category.
- Entry must be complete and contain all required supporting information and details, along with required design project imagery/photographs.
- Entry must meet national code requirements and restrictions.
- Entry must consist of a kitchen project that was completed between January 1, 2018 and July 31, 2020.
- Entry must be a kitchen design of a private, residential space only. Showroom, retail, commercial, hospitality, public recreational, educational and other non-residential environments are not eligible.
- At least one Dacor full-size built-in or integrated refrigeration product and at least one Dacor primary cooking appliance for the residence must be featured in the design.
- Dacor products must be current models dating from January 2017 to present.
- Entry must include a complete list of Dacor products included in the design.
- At least three (3) but no more than ten (10) color photographs of the finished design must be submitted with your Entry. Dacor products must be easily identifiable.
- Digital floor plan/elevation files (minimum of two (2), maximum of four (4); one (1) must be a floor plan) in PDF, JPG or JPEG format.
- Photos/Digital floor plan/elevation JPG files should not exceed 2,400 pixels in width or 1,600 pixels in height at 72 dpi resolution. Note: If you are selected as a finalist, higher resolution versions may be requested.
- Photos accepted file formats: JPG or JPEG.
- Photos should be single dynamic images; no collages (a collage is an image that is createdfrom more than 1 image).
- Do not include any text or logos on images/photos.
- Upload a one page narrative describing the design details, colors, inspiration, materialsand anything else you’d like to include.
- Entrants may submit multiple Entries, but each Entry must be unique.
Student Design Contest Requirements. Once registered, follow the instructions to submit your completed kitchen design (“Entry”).
- The Contest’s Student Contest is open to students who as of February 1, 2019 are currently enrolled at an accredited college or university and/or are NKBA student members.
- Entry must be completed by an individual student, not by a team of students. No co-designers are permitted.
- Let your imagination be your guide in designing a functional and beautiful space for a hypothetical client. Contestants are encouraged to create an indoor kitchen with a minimum of 150 square feet and a budget of $150,000. Please provide interesting details about the hypothetical client and any unique situations or design challenges encountered.
- Student entries must include a rendered kitchen with all of the following:
- At least one Dacor refrigeration unit.
- At least one Dacor cooking appliance as primary food preparation unit. Ranges, rangetops, ovens, cooktops and two or more modules meet this requirement; ventilation, microwave ovens and warming drawers do not.
- At least three (3) but no more than ten (10) images of the finished design must be submitted with your Entry. Dacor products must be easily identifiable.
- Image files should not exceed 2,400 pixels in width or 1,600 pixels in height at 72 dpi resolution, JPG format.
- Upload a one page narrative describing the design details, colors, inspiration, materials and anything else you’d like to include.
- Limit one Entry per Student Entrant.
Can I enter more than one kitchen in the same contest period?
If you are a Professional you may submit multiple kitchens entries as long as the projects are unique, completed and constructed by July 31, 2020. If you are a Student, you may only submit one Entry.
May I submit an entry that has won in another contest?
Yes, as long as the project is completed and submitted by July 31, 2020.
What is the difference between Traditional and Contemporary for kitchen entries?
- Traditional Kitchen – A Traditional Kitchen includes several design elements of warm colors and symmetrical lines. It incorporates design elements from a variety of centuries, which allows homeowners to feel comfortable and elegant at the same time.
- Contemporary Kitchen – The contemporary kitchen borrows high functionality and streamlined surfaces from the modernist design movement, but its style often incorporates traditional ideas as well for a sleek but livable feel.
I am a consumer/homeowner, may I enter the contest?
No, this contest is only open to trade professionals and students.
Is it necessary to use all Dacor products in the National Kitchen Design Contest?
At least one current (January 2017 or later) Dacor full-size built-in or integrated refrigeration product and at least one primary cooking appliance for the residence must be present in the design.
Should I include my name on the entry materials?
No. Please do not include your name on any of the renderings, floor plans, narratives, or photos, as this isa “blind” contest. Your name will be captured in the entry form which is not shared with the judges.
What are the photography requirements for entry?
Professional entries require a minimum of three color photographs of the completed design with a maximum of 10 allowed. Each file can be up to 2,400 pixels in width or 1,600 pixels in height at 72 dpi resolution. Do not include spaces or special characters (such as % or & or –), when naming the files and use .JPG or .JPEG for the file extension. Professional photography is not required. However, we do encourage professional photography as it can do a better job in highlighting your work vs. a candid shot. "Before" shots are not required but are welcomed.
Do I need to submit an essay upon entry?
We do ask for a narrative about your design in the entry form.
Do you have any recommendations on how to enhance my entry?
- Submit great images – photography is paramount
- Capture high resolution photos with good lighting
- Showcase all appliances in the photos so the judges can see how they’ve been incorporated into the design
- Write an informative and concise narrative